Tuesday 10 May 2011

Someone died

A cyclist died yesterday, I didn't know who he was, I've never met him or even know anyone who knew him

It has upset me far more than it has any right too

I don't understand my reaction to this, people die everyday, cyclists die everyday

maybe because I was discussing his race team with a friend just a day ago and she was explaining how it worked and the process's they went through to put the team together, maybe its because I can understand the anguish his family and friends must be going through right now

maybe its because I can appreciate and understand (but never experience) the sacrifices he has made to get himself to where he was in the world of bike racing and ultimately this cost him his life

maybe its the fact that I just spent a weekend witnessing people on bikes pushing themselves way beyond anything that they ever thought was possible and come out the other end smiling for no good reason other than to feel alive

whatever the reason, a young man lost his life yesterday, yet another reminder that we are so fragile and we should (but rarely do) celebrate and make count every day

today I rode a short distance, it felt good, tomorrow a bit further.....

make every day count

No comments:

Post a Comment